4 Angels From Above

Instead of worrying about what our children will become tomorrow, remember that they are somebody today.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Service!!!

It is my believe that coming home from the hospital with a new borne baby, or for some different reason and find out that the RS women from your ward have organized meals for a few days is best kind of service a person can receive. I have to say I believe, because I would not know how that feels. Our ward does not believe the same way I do. Must be that southern hospitality they so much talk about. Thanks to 2 friends and my mommy group I had dinner when I came home from the hospital last year and for 2 days after my mom left 5 days later leaving me with 2 kids to handle on my own for the first time. 


This blog at first was going to be about the amazing supper woman I was yesterday and the many tasks I accomplished, however after one of the events of the day. It took a different turn. Months ago my husband came to me with a broken heart, he had in a blessing told a woman that she had breast cancer. I cannot imagine how hard that would be. At that moment I knew I wanted to do something for her, and knowing that RS may not do a thing in the dinner department. I have volunteered to take her dinner every time after chemotherapy. So every third Saturday I bring her a home cooked meal, which is kind of inconvenient. Because Saturdays are my cooking day off. 

But as I went about my busy day yesterday doing this. 

That one very famous verse kept coming to my head.

"When ye are in the service of your fellow man, ye are only in the service of your God." 

You see! I was reminded yesterday, it is not enough to just do. If you go the extra mile, that is when you are really serving. Not just Dinner, but dessert. Not just make it, but put love into it, as if you were making it for the savior. 

So, when we ran out of supplies and my husband went to store for more wood. I put the children down for their nap. And as I prepared a lasagna my thoughts were directed to the hardship this woman is going through. And how life is different for everyone, all of the sudden my trials did not feel as big anymore. My hardship was lightened. And the words of a blessing I received a long time ago were whispered in my mind. In order to find yourself you must first lose yourself. 

So when I walked in the destroyed house, from the kids that had been inside unattended and found this I knew I could handle the challenges that came with motherhood.

 

My lovely daughter had found some tissue paper and turned it into a thousand little pieces. So never leave a present here!




At least my son was helpful and applied sunscreen on himself, (sigh) At least that is one less thing for me to do.


I don't think he will have a burnt forehead do you?


But in the end of the day when I went to check on my garden I had a present... Yes straight from Heavenly father. 



The first tomatoes, of the season. YUM... Can't wait to pick them and eat them with some salt.

So today at church the presidency lesson was on Good Works. There we go again! Heavenly father teaching me. One of the stories told was about the silverware, are you a fork? You know the kind that picks up everything, and clean everything from the plate mine, mine, mine. Or are you a knife? The kind that changes everything, that nothing is good enough the way that it is. You must always make some kind of a change. Or are you a spoon? The one that serves soup and cereal, and picks up the things that no one else does? We received a spoon covered with chocolate as our handout. And of course my children ate them instead of me. 

As I drove home and thought about what I am. I found out that I am a knife, I like things my way, and I always change things a little bit to please me. I also decided it was time to work on being more like a spoon. 
Then I got home and hit with reality. So here we go again, a new day full of challenges.



Thanks little chocolate spoon! You have served well. Now it's time for the knife to fix this.

P.S. please note that I am not and should not be an example of service to anyone, I am still learning myself, and really struggle with visiting teaching, and other things that should just come naturally to women. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I cannot imagine not giving meals to sisters who've given birth. Every ward I've been to does. That is great that you take matters into your own hands. What a great example you are being to your kids. Service to others truly is serving Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Love your blog.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete