4 Angels From Above

Instead of worrying about what our children will become tomorrow, remember that they are somebody today.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Childhood Memories

I was thinking today about things that I want for my children, and why I want those things for them. Could it be because I didn't have it growing up and always wanted them? Maybe... I decided that through the eyes of a mother I will show you how my childhood was. I grew up in Brazil up until I was 12 years old. 
And for the record, I do not own a rain dance outfit, and I did have a Microwave before I moved to the USA.  
Oh, and I did wear underwear. Just some questions I got asked when I moved here. Don't get me wrong... I had a great childhood, with everything a kid needs, filled with many hours of playing outside, and way to much independence for a child. But there were things I wish I had, a bath tub was one of those.  

Although this was not our shower, ours did look like this.
HOW DANGEROUS IS THAT? Do you see electrical wires too close to the water? And you ask WHY? well how do you think the water got hot? Do you see the little knob there? There were 3 temperatures, COLD, MEDIUM, and HOT, and the water warmed as it came out of the shower. Needless to say that it was NEVER hot enough. and Showers lasted about 1 minute in the winter so we didn't die of hypothermia. No we didn't have heater in the house, all we had was a metal corn can with some alcohol in it. And it burned as we showered, I had a great mom, so she always burned it a few minutes before I went in. So the bathroom would defrost before I had to jump in the cold water. Thank goodness she allowed me to take as she called them, "CAT BATHS" a wash cloth with some warm water and soap to wash the important parts on the days that were below freezing weather. We did NOT have a tub, the bathroom was in fact covered with tiles from floor to ceiling, making it extra cold, and slippery. 
So yes I always wanted one of these...


 What a mean brother... 



 Shampoo and jets will make good bubbles.

Well maybe a little too much shampoo. 
So there, I am living my childhood dreams through my kids. And we are all enjoying the fun. Maybe some time I will tell you about my make do pool in the back yard.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Thanks for this post, it really shows how blessed we are and how never to take things for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is living that life, right now. He just wrote to tell us about coming home from tracting, hot and sweating through his clothes, and finding their power out, so no fan to blow the thousands of mosquitos off of them while they slept. Nothing I could tell him of, would teach him what this experience has. We are so very blessed, and where much is given, much is required. Thanks for sharing. What a picture you painted with your words.

    ReplyDelete